Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Great Barrier Reef



Though the weather wasn't quite as nice as we would have hoped, and people got sea sick on the boat, our day over the Great Barrier Reef was well worth while to me. On Tuesday night we all went to reef teach and learned about the many different things we may come across out on the reef. Our instructor was hilarious and kept us awake even though it was later in the evening. Once we finally braved the trip the next day and made it to the spot where we could snorkel and scuba dive things just got better and better. I had never gone scuba diving before and I was nervous about how my ears might react to the pressure, but I was excited regardless. I convinced myself that it would be worth it; when would I ever get the opportunity to scuba dive on the Great Barrier Reef again? One of the 7 wonders and the largest living structure! This is the thought that kept me going when it first started. We got suited up and weights strapped on and of course, our breathing tanks, flippers and goggles! There were two of us to one professional and there were two groups that went at the same time. So we walked to the back of the boat and took a large step into the rough water. It was terrifying at first controlling my breathing and being tossed around by the waves but the instructor that I had was so nice and comforting I felt I could trust her and I did as she mimed. She kept me calm and I focused on my breathing and popping my ears as we went deeper on the reef. I was thankful to have her as my guide as she pointed out so many of the things we had learned about the night before! I saw nemo, a sea turtle and so many other fish and corals, including one she let me touch! It was such a rewarding experience and once I finally relaxed and stopped biting down on my mouthpiece like it was the end of the world I was able to have a truly enjoyable experience. The only picture I have to show for it is of the certificate that proves I did it, but it's going to be hard to forget all of the things I saw!


image.jpeg

No comments:

Post a Comment