Monday, May 6, 2013

Day 2 at Moreton Island!


First off I would like to apologize for the two day delay in posting these last two installments of Moreton Island, we had a two day train ride here to Cairns and we unfortunately did not have wifi.

Day Two on Moreton Island

            We started off our day eating sugar caked pancakes and we drank concentrated lemonade juice. We then set out for the day; to start we traveled to the bottom of Mount Tempest. Soon we began our little 5 km hike. Kaylee and I decided that we should race to the top, instead of take the slow walk up, and we did run as far as we could until we reached a little rest stop area where we took a break. The rest of the group took a leisurely walk up Mount Tempest and learned a few dream time stories from Nathan. Eventually we reached the top and got an amazing view of the island, other islands in the distance and even the mainland where we could see the city of Brisbane
    After we hiked back down Mount Tempest we ventured out to the oddly named Blue Lagoon. It is oddly named Blue Lagoon because the water is not blue, but brown so why did they name it Blue Lagoon? Well I can at least explain why the water is now iodine brown. The oils in the surrounding plants are called tea tree oils which give the water its brown appearance. These tea tree oils have many curative and moisturizing capabilities, many people come to swim here and rub the sand into their skin, which helps moisturize the skin and make it smooth. It was a very nice hot sunny day there in the lagoon; we all had a lot of fun swimming in the healing water.
After we broke for lunch we took some time out of our day to climb Cape Moreton. The cape itself had a great view of the island as you can see in the photos down below.
Later on in the day we headed to the north side of the island to visit the romantic Honeymoon Bay, which I wished a few of us really wanted to be with our special someone. For the rest of the day we spent the most of our time there on the beach and we even got to see the champagne rocks. The champagne rocks are called that because when a tidal wave comes crashing into them, they create a sparkling bubbly pool on the other side. As you can see below we had a great time at the beach and in Honeymoon Bay.










For the last part of the day we spent our time walking the beach during the sunset. We saw many ghost crabs and WWII monuments on the beach. Just look at this sunset, isn’t it beautiful? We had an amazing day traveling the island, and exploring the island. Since I had been previously talked about all my various camping trips and my time spent with primitive pursuits, the guides told me to make the fire for the night. I made a decent fire despite my handicap of not being able to light a match. Even when it started pouring I spent my time sitting next to the fire, determined to stay by the fire I was reluctant to join everyone else under the dining tent. But then I eventually caved in because people thought my fire wouldn’t last very long. But I had confidence in my fire; it lasted about another four hours out in the pouring rain. Unfortunately the great day turned into a difficult night since it rained for the majority of the night. And that was the end of our second day on Moreton Island.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment